HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHOLOGY
- in 1978 the Institute of Psychology (Division for Psychology), present-day Department of Psychology was founded;
- in AY 1979/80 graduate programme in Psychology at the former Faculty of Pedagogy in Rijeka was initiated;
- from AY 1991/92 to AY 1995/96 the Department organized a work and study psychology graduate degree for one generation of Italian citizens;
- in 1992 the Department begun publishing its journal entitled Godišnjak Odsjeka za psihologiju (The Annual Journal of the Department of Psychology). Since 1997, the journal is coming out under the new name Psihologijske teme (Psychological Topics). In addition to the regular numbers, thematic issues of the journal are published in English, under the name Psychological Topics since 2006;
- from 1992/93, the Department hosted Fulbright scholars Diane Husinga (Michigan State University, USA), Jacob Hautauloma (State University of Colorado, USA) and James Downing (Sull Ross University, USA);
- in 1993 the students founded the Association of Psychology Students of the Department of Psychology of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Rijeka - PSIRIUS;
- in 1997 an action to establish the Psychological Counselling Center was carried out. In 2010 the counselling center grew into the University Counselling Center (Sveučilišni savjetovališni centar - SSC) and the Psychological Counselling Center as part of this SSC;
- in 2004 the first Laboratory for measuring psychophysiological parameters was set up in the premises of the Rectorate of the University of Rijeka. Experimental Psychology Laboratory was formally established in 2011;
- in AY 2005/06 the Psychology course was adapted to the Bologna Process. The four-year program has been changed into a three-year undergraduate and two-year graduate course of psychology;
- in AY 2008/09 Postgraduate Specialist Study Programme 'Psychological Counselling' was launched;
- in 2011 psychology graduates founded Ri Psi Alumni Club;
- since 2011 the Department of Psychology is organizing a biennial conference Rijeka's Days of Experimental Psychology - (Riječki dani eksperimentalne psihologije - REPSI);
- since 2012 the Department of Psychology is the co-organizer of River of Psychology held within the Psychology week in Croatia organized by the Croatian Psychological Association;
- in AY 2013/14 the first enrollment of psychology graduates in the PhD program in Psychology was organized;
- in 2014 the Center for Applied Psychology (Centar za primijenjenu psihologiju - CPP) was established.
Since it was established in 1978 ...
- the Department has had a long-standing teaching and scientific cooperation with a number of European universities;
- members of the Department participated in numerous domestic and international scientific-research projects either as Directors or Associates;
- the overall bibliography of the present members of the Department includes a number of scientific and professional editions, peer-reviews, and articles in anthologies and books. The members of the Department publish their works in recognized world journals, and as authors publish books from various fields of psychology;
- members of the Department regularly participate in international and domestic scientific and professional conferences and meetings, and the Department hosted and co-organized several of them;
- part of the faculty of the Department participates in the work of the newly established Centre for Teacher Education at the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Rijeka.